Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bartholomae's Conversation with Elbow

Our writing is not our own according to Bartholomae. More and more we are disillusioned then in discovering that history, culture, and other sources have already shaped the stories we write. I contend, however, that the stories are still ours, shared perhaps, ours nonetheless. So when Elbow alludes to the practice of asking students to express themselves without reproducing the thoughts of others, he gives the impression that all ideas are a form of plagiarism, in a manner of speaking. So maybe the stories our students write are not new to us, to historians, but they are new experiences for the writer. I am reminded of how often I use to point out that my students were using trite expressions. The expressions might not have been trite in their experiences, not having heard or used them as often as I have (given the age difference).
Classroom arrangement sometimes has no effect on the perceived distribution of power. Even in a circle, the teacher is most often still recognized as being in control. On rare occasions, the reverse can be true. The teacher can be front and center and still not be the one with the power. Is it really possible to disguise the "unequal distribution of power"? Actually, power and empowering in the classroom is shared in a sense. I only have the power to teach my students to the extent that they allow. Does not their behavior (mostly good) empower me to be in charge?
I am not sure to what extent classroom arrangement affects writing. Circles? Small groups? Cubicles? Today, I vote for any arrangement that ironically allows students to plug their ears against the noise created by my presence.

1 comment:

lady_a said...

I say the best class arrangement is in a circle with beers in front of us...um...health coach, where are you?

but seriously: I do agree with you, that our stories are ours, no matter how many times it seems the story had been told before by so many others.
It is our own unique way of experiencing them--that may be lost in translation through the written word--that makes our stories ours.